I had no idea that rush hour starts prior to 3pm in the Baltimore area. It does. Within about 10 minutes of leaving my parents' house (we left at 2:30), we hit major traffic. For the next about 70 minutes I was in stop and go traffic and rarely able to go more than 25 miles an hour (on an interstate highway). We also hit traffic in Harrisburg, but that was more expected as it was around 5pm. Without lots of stops or traffic, the trip usually takes about 3.5 hours. It took 4 hours on the way down on Tuesday because of extra stops to take Ian to the bathroom or to make a sippy cup of Elecare for Ian (with warm water). The trip back today was 10 minutes shy of 5 hours long. To make matters worse, I had really bad morning sickness ALL day today. That was a brutal combination. I was rather bummed when I felt sick to my stomach this morning because yesterday the only time I felt sick to my stomach was when I was riding the Metro to and from Virginia. I got my hopes up yesterday that maybe now that I'm 13 weeks along the morning sickness phase had ended. The good news is that Nadia didn't throw up, and Ian didn't have any accidents. If I didn't have a promotion committee meeting tomorrow, we would have stayed longer as the conference goes until Saturday. I'm grateful we were able to spend some time with my parents and my brother. It was exciting to learn more details about my brother's new job, which he will be starting the first week of August. He's going to be teaching science at Amazon Valley Academy in Brazil and also doing other things like ecotourism. My parents will be empty nesters in a few months.
It was nice to be nausea free at the conference yesterday. I attended sessions from 10:00-11:30, 12:45-2:15, and 3:00-4:00. I spoke from 2:30-3:00. About 50 people attended my session. Most of the sessions were on the same floor as the lobby, but my session was on the 15th floor. What a view! From the windows you could easily see the pentagon, Washington monument, Capitol, planes landing at the Ronald Reagan airport, etc. I had a decent walk from the Pentagon City metro stop to the hotel (in Crystal City, VA), but the weather was nice, and I got to see some cherry blossoms in bloom during my walk. I also had a pleasant surprise in the evening as the OB nurse left a message on my voicemail at 5pm saying that they had located my two vials of blood. So maybe I'll get the results tomorrow? It's probably wishful thinking although that will be 11 days after my blood was drawn. I was relieved to know that I didn't have to go back to the lab tomorrow.
I also have learned that I can eat sweets after lunch or after dinner. I still can't eat ANYthing that is remotely sweet for breakfast. I really wanted to have Golden Grahams for breakfast at my mom's, but I stuck with Crispix. Now I'm just trying to figure out what gives me heartburn. Pecans are definitely heartburn inducers. I was able to enjoy some vanilla cheesecake at lunch on Wednesday and a strawberry shake on the drive home this evening. Ice cream, how I had missed you!!! I also let Nadia have her first milkshake. She picked chocolate, which normally would be my first choice, but that definitely would give me serious heartburn! It's going to be a bit harder to control my weight now that I know I can eat some sweets again. Hopefully the weather will be nice while we're in Hershey, and hopefully I can find a way to get some exercise with the kids down there.
I'd like to ask for prayer for my friend, Donna. We played in the bell choir together for four years and have stayed in touch since then. Her husband, who is a doctor at the hospital where I've done all three rounds of ivf, had heart failure a few days ago. Yesterday he had triple bypass surgery. Please pray for his recovery and for the whole family during this difficult time. Thanks!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment