Saturday, March 31, 2012

Hello, 2nd Trimester!

There are three methods of calcuating the trimesters. One is by development. By that method I hit the second trimester more than a week ago. The gestation method divides the 40 weeks into three equal time periods. By that method, today is my first day in the 2nd trimester. The pregnancy is 1/3 done, and actually since the c-section has been scheduled about 10 days before my EDD, I'm a little more than 1/3 done. The conception method considers pregnancy to be 38 weeks long - starting at conception rather than 2 weeks before that point. I haven't hit the 2nd trimester yet by that method, but most doctors use the gestation method; so I'm considering yesterday to have been my last day in the first trimester. Now if this "morning" sickness would subside, I would feel like I'm in the 2nd trimester. As far as cravings go, one of the most prominent ones lately is that I am constantly in the mood for an egg McMuffin. It's a good thing I don't pass a McD's more often than I do, lol! I've been eating a lot more toast (or English muffins) lately. The other thing I have been craving lately is a pineapple milk shake or sundae or something like that. I think it's in part because I've learned I can eat ice cream again, but I can't have the usual flavors that I like due to the fact that things like chocolate, peanut butter, nuts, etc. give me heartburn. We shall see if I can locate some pineapple ice cream treat, ha ha! The pecan bars are yummy, but I will be staying away from nuts the rest of the pregnancy as they definitely give me heartburn.

My clothes are getting more and more uncomfortable on me. I should say my bottoms (pants, skirts). My tops still fit perfectly fine. I took Nadia to another yard sale this morning (really close to our house). It was for a Christian school. What a difference compared to the one we went to yesterday (although both were held in churches). The prices at this one were SO reasonable. Unfortunately they didn't have any maternity clothing. They had quite a few car seats, and I was looking for an infant one. Well it turns out I didn't notice one that was there as an Amish woman who came in after us found it, and when she took it to the register, they said it was $5. Wow. I had seen one at a yard sale earlier this month for $50. I didn't buy that one because of the price. Hopefully I'll be able to find another reasonably priced one in the coming months. I bought a few things for the kids - a puzzle for Nadia, a couple of books, a pirate hat, and a Mickey Mouse raincoat for Ian. My grand total was $2.

Since I know exactly what style and size of maternity clothing I prefer (in terms of pants, shorts, and skirts), I decided to "splurge" and place some bids on eBay. I say "splurge" because the prices on eBay have gone up a LOT. So far I bought two pairs of shorts, and I'm bidding on two pairs of capris. I'm hoping to get some tops at the consignment sale I'm going to in Hershey in a couple of weeks. I also need to get some skirts and at least two more pairs of shorts. I'm so bummed that I sold my maternity skirts because I loved them, and now I'll have to pay 4 times as much as I paid to replace them. I'm also keeping my eye out for a maternity bathing suit. I'll need that in May for our vacation and then in June - August here at home.

I took Nadia to an egg hunt really close to our house at noon. The weather wasn't exactly ideal, but at least it had stopped raining. Nadia picked up 3 hardboiled eggs and several plastic eggs. Some of the plastic eggs were filled with candy, and two of the plastic eggs she put in her princess pail had numbers inside, which she was able to redeem for two prizes. One prize was a little ball, but the other prize was a basket that contained many goodies including Reese's eggs, a large chocolate bunny (her first), a stuffed animal, pencils, erasers, etc. I didn't bother taking Ian since he hated the egg hunt yesterday at the library. Sometime in the next week we need to color some eggs.

No comments: