On Sunday I asked Sarah if she would watch Nadia and Ian for me for a couple of hours today while I took Oliver to his eye doctor appointment. Early this morning she called to let me know that two of the children she babysits had colds today. I was thankful she warned me as I'm trying to keep these germs out of our house. I tried calling Sheri, but I couldn't get a hold of her. Paul called his dad who graciously agreed to meet me at a McD's near the hospital. He watched Nadia and Ian for 1.75 hours during Oliver's appointment. They put one set of drops in his eyes to dilate them, and then 5 minutes later they put in another set of drops. About 25 minutes later we were called back for his exam. It didn't last long, but Oliver screamed at the top of his lungs, which made it emotionally painful for me. They numbed his eyes and used clamps to keep his eyelids completely pulled back. The good news is they didn't see any scar tissue. He has to come back in six weeks, but there is little chance he will have ROP, which is very good news.
The bad news is that Oliver's day of lethargy on Monday seems to have goofed up his night time sleeping habits. He was awake most of the night the past two nights. On Tuesday I didn't cave until 6:15am as far as letting him sleep on me in our bed. This morning I caved at 4:30am since I had only gotten 2 hours of sleep until that point (the only decent stretch was from 10-11:30pm). I really don't want to start a habit of him sleeping on me during the night, but I need more than 2 hours of sleep at night. I made sure to keep him awake for longer stretches of time today. I am hoping that will translate to him sleeping more tonight as I am one very tired Momma. I didn't attempt a nap today, which was probably for the best as Ian only napped for 45 minutes today.
After going 7 days without driving the van, I drove it 2 days in a row. The car doesn't have the keyless entry feature the Prius has. I miss that. I am getting reaccustomed to needing to use a key to both unlock and drive the vehicle. I have a ways to go in learning to park the minivan. I'm very grateful though to have a vehicle in which I can transport all three kids at the same time, even during this time when Oliver rides in a car bed. I'm getting much better at switching the oxygen regulator from the large tanks (we use at home) to the small tanks I use when we're not at home. I'm also getting better at moving the large tank around the house so that Oliver doesn't have to stay in one spot all day long. Next Thursday I'll be turning his oxygen down one notch (to .025). Hopefully he'll be totally off the oxygen sometime next month!

No comments:
Post a Comment