Friday, December 21, 2012

Santa's Lap

Santa Claus can be such a controversial subject even amongst those who believe that Christmas is a celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ. Some completely eliminate him from their celebration, and others tell their children that he is real and include many Santa related traditions in their celebrations. I have taken a middle road approach. We sing both religious songs (ex. Angels we have heard on high) as well as secular Christmas songs (ex. Santa Claus is coming to town) in our house. We watch religious Christmas dvd's (ex. Max Lucado's "Crippled Lamb") as well as secular Christmas dvds (ex. Rudolph). We read religious Christmas books as well as secular Christmas books that focus on Rudolph and Santa. I've told the kids every year that Santa is not real just like Cinderella and Snow White aren't real. I contemplated getting the classic photo on Santa's lap a couple of years ago until I saw how expensive it was at the mall. Well out of the blue a couple of weeks ago Ian told me he wanted to sit on Santa's lap. I have no idea where he got this idea.
I wasn't opposed to letting him do that if it wasn't going to cost an arm and a leg. I found out that in our town Santa sits in his "house" (a decorated shed) right beside our grocery store several nights during the month of December. Paul's parents came up to our house to celebrate Paul's dad's birthday today (which was yesterday). Paul grilled steaks. I made biscuits, mashed potatoes, and green beans. Nadia and I made oatmeal raisin cookies (his favorite). After dinner, we went to visit Santa (while Paul picked up a few items at the grocery store). They loved it. I should add that I don't have any problems with those who totally eliminate Santa or totally include Santa in their Christmas celebrations. I think it's a personal decision each family has to make. I am glad that I found a free way for Ian to get his wish to sit on Santa's lap. Nadia told Santa she wanted princesses for Christmas. Ian didn't say a word, and of course Oliver was oblivious. Nadia wore her new princess snow boots that her grandparents got her. As her shirt says (above) "Who needs Santa when you've got Grandma". Very true!
 
I took these pictures to document that yes we have done several Christmas crafts this month. I will never win the award for doing the most or the fanciest crafts with my kids, but I have done a few this month. This week we made Christmas cards (some with crayons and some with tempera paint) as well as gingerbread men (they enjoyed using glue for that one). We do such projects while Oliver naps. Yay for having a baby who naps in his crib!!! As of this evening, I am done wrapping gifts, and actually I've not only finished buying and wrapping Christmas gifts but also the next few months of birthday gifts as well. Yahoo!
Paul completed two more applications today bringing his total to 18 that he has submitted thus far. Ian still has his cold, but his cough is getting better. Oliver's fever only lasted two days (Tuesday/Wednesday). Yesterday his nose wasn't as runny as it was the previous two days, and today it was even a bit better than yesterday. He's definitely on the mend - PTL!
 
 
 

No comments: