Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Five Weeks Old!

Well last night was a case of "three steps forward, two steps back" with last night being the "two steps back" part. I honestly have no idea how I functioned on 2-3 hours of sleep a night those first few weeks as I probably got 5 hours last night and I feel awful. Unfortunately she woke up EVERY hour with the exception of the last stretch when she did go 2 hours (4-6am). There was one point in particular when I wanted to pull my hair out. I had fed her for an hour and changed her diaper and she was wide awake. I let her cry for a really long time and even that didn't work. I finally nursed her in bed, and she fell asleep with us. Paul carried her to bed when he got up at 3am to keep working on his thesis defense. Hopefully tonight will be a better night.

We planned to go to the defense together (the 3 of us), but then Paul made an appointment to meet with his advisor again this morning and he also is going to a dinner this evening that a student is hosting for the chemistry grad students who defended last week or are defending this week. So I would have needed to drive there separately. If Nadia would sleep in the car, that would work fine, but after our experience on Sunday where she screamed almost the whole way to and from church, I wasn't up for potentially 90 minutes (RT) of her screaming. My plan had been that Paul would drive, and I would sit in the back seat and give her a bottle or pacifier if she was unhappy. So anyhow I am rather tearful today as I really wanted to be there even though I know I wouldn't understand much of his presentation. I am very proud of him. He got all dressed up - he even took a tie with him and he usually only wears a tie when attending a wedding or funeral. Well I will certainly be praying for him at 1pm.

Today I dressed Nadia in the green polka dotted dress that I brought to the hospital to be her "going home" outfit. It was given to me by the senior choir and handbell choir. It's size 0-3 months, and it's still too big for her, but I am afraid that she won't grow into this size before the weather gets cooler, so I decided to have her wear some of the 0-3 month clothing from time to time. At least a dress is more "forgiving" than say a short outfit. I don't think it's supposed to go all the way to her ankles though. :-) Paul likes the ladybugs on the dress. I will take a photo later of her and add it to this post.

Napping in the pack n play didn't work this morning BUT napping in the boppy on the couch did. That seems to be progress as at least she's not in my arms, and I can get up and do stuff. Thanks for the input on which dress to have her wear on Thursday afternoon. Although I like the white & pink flowered dress better, I agree that the purple polka dotted one would be better for the photos. Plus Paul likes purple on her a lot more than pink so purple dress it is!

No comments: