Saturday, January 9, 2010

Rough Night

Last night was definitely the worst with Ian, although that might have been the norm when Nadia was this age. Paul had given Ian 2oz of formula shortly after I went to bed. I got up to nurse him at 10:30pm, and within 5 minutes of my return to bed, Nadia woke up at 11:05pm. I tried getting her back to sleep, but it was Paul who eventually got her back to sleep. Ian woke up at 1am, and I nursed him (including a diaper change in the middle) for 45 minutes. I then made the fateful decision to put him back down in the crib swaddled in the corner (not in the boppy). Within a few minutes he woke up, and it took me 45 minutes to get him back to sleep. Unfortunately even then he only slept a few minutes before he woke up again. After I had been up from 1-3:30am, I brought him to bed with us and finally we both got some sleep. I nursed him again at 6:30am. Thankfully Nadia slept until 7:15am, which was 2 hours later than she has been waking up lately. She wouldn't take a morning nap yesterday (first time that happened in a long time); I think that's why she slept later this morning. She did take two naps today, but I'm hoping she won't get up any earlier than 6am tomorrow morning. I know I need to wean Ian off of sleeping on the boppy, but I won't be working on that tonight as I am really, really hoping to get a much better night of sleep!

Unfortunately the weigh-in didn't go as well today. I hadn't weighed him since Thursday morning, and during that time span he only gained 1/2 an ounce. I was bummed when I saw that he still needs to gain 1.5 ounces to hit 6lbs (2.5 to reach his birth weight). I really was hoping he'd reach his birth weight by the time he turned 1 month old. Well hopefully he'll at least hit 6lb by then (Tuesday). The lactation nurse on Monday said he should gain at least 4 ounces a week, and I think he will still achieve that goal (presuming he gains at least 1/2 ounce by tomorrow).

Things I need to work with Ian on (aside from continuing to gain weight) include #1 weaning him off the shield, #2 getting him to start sleeping in the crib or pack & play during the day (he's almost always in someone's arms), and #3 weaning him off of sleeping in the boppy when he's in his crib. The process toward achieving these goals won't be fun, but I know it will be worth the efforts. Paul installed the video camera in his room today. I was waiting for that to happen before I started putting him in the crib during the day.

No comments: