As for sleeping, it's not truly multitasking in that I can't sleep while caring for Ian during the night, but I lumped it in this category as from the hours of 9:00 or 9:30pm and 6:00am I'd like to do nothing but sleep. I know that from time to time this won't happen because a child is sick or something like that, but it's been over 3 weeks since I had one night of sleeping 8 hours in a row. I highly doubt that Ian will regularly sleep 12 or more hours like Holly does, but it's worth a try to let him go to bed earlier tonight. Last night he fell asleep in my arms at 6:45, but I woke him up and Paul put him to bed around 7:30. He woke up around 10pm and was up for about 30 minutes. Then he woke up at 11:45, and this time I decided he shouldn't be fed again. I changed his diaper (which was only wet) and tried to rock him back to sleep for 30 minutes. He'd fall asleep and then wake up when I put him down. I finally decided to let him cry. Thankfully he didn't cry that long. He then woke up at 4:50 but after fussing fell back asleep until 5:15. I got him at 5:15, and he fell asleep while I was nursing him in our bed. He woke up around 6am. I guess I'm going to have to start letting him cry more if putting him to bed earlier (temporarily) doesn't do the trick. I know he is capable of sleeping 11 hours straight, as he did that for several weeks up until he turned 9 months old and got his first two teeth. The VERY good news is that we've now reached the point where it's the norm for one of his naps to be 75-90 minutes long. Today was one of the rare days when both of his naps were at least 60 minutes long!!
Technology has made more multitasking possible. I frequently talk on the cell-phone (hands free) while driving to and from work. I used to just sit and watch a movie with Paul. Now I'm usually on my laptop either for work or leisure while watching a movie. Having a laptop has enabled my children to only be with a babysitter an average of 6 hours a week. I've been part-time for most of the past 2+ years (50-75%), but even this semester when I'm full-time, I'm not on campus 40 hours a week. Paul watches the kids for 10 hours a week in addition to the 6 hours they're with a babysitter. I don't keep track of exactly how many hours I work per week, but if I worked 36 hours, that would mean that the other 20 hours of work must be accomplished while I'm taking care of the kids or after 8pm. That's honestly the main reason I'm looking forward to being a SAHM. I am only away from home about 15 hours a week, but my job consumes far more than 15 hours of my time each week. Many times I am wanting to play with the kids but instead I am trying to get them to play by themselves so I can grade, respond to emails from students, etc. This is the main reason I haven't replaced my personal laptop. I actually think it would be better if I didn't own one.
3 comments:
Shower alone with no kids in the bathroom?! What is that? LOL Be consistent with the sleep thing and it will get better. I can't remember what sleep expert it was (one of those crazy books) that said that getting up to drink a bottle or bf becomes a habit. I tend to agree with them. I finally put my foot down with Brianne and started letting her cry. Since the twins are so small and were so early I don't know if I could have been that strict. I am glad I don't have that decision to make with them.
It's so true about the laptop! I do the same thing when we're watching a movie, which is silly, because even though I'm only surfing the net, I feel like I'm not really focusing on anything. Or I'll try to pay bills while playing with Holly. It's too much of a temptation when your computer can travel from room to room.
(I am writing this comment while watching TV with the hubby.)
I am amazed you can get so much work done when you are at home with your kids. I agree - no fun - but that kind of multitasking takes talent!
Post a Comment