Thursday, November 17, 2011

Thankful Thursday

1. I'm very thankful we're pursuing ivf again. I'm praying that the Lord would enable us to have one more child, but I'm also praying that He'll help me be content if the answer is "no, your family is already complete."

2. I had the sonohystogram and mock transfer today with the new RE. I am grateful everything looked fine. The procedure wasn't as painful as it was in 2007 (excruciating), but it was more uncomfortable than in it was in 2009. When I grimmaced, he reduced the size of the balloon some. As I lay there, I kept telling myself, if this discomfort results in another baby - it is SOOOO worth it.

3. The Dean and Department Chair both told me today that they haven't heard anything regarding the President's decision. I was glad that they got back to me, and I've decided not to ask them any more about it for a few weeks until it gets to the point that we're reaching the deadline for accepting/declining health insurance through PSU beginning January 1. I don't want to be a pest.

4. The reason I am more accepting of the uncertainty is because I emailed HR today and asked if I could still use the $3,500 FSA in 2012 even if I only received a few paychecks in 2012. She said that actually the full amount can be spent on January 1 even though they only take out 1/26th of it per paycheck. That was good news! I had been thinking that we'd do the ivf sooner if we knew I'd be resigning because the PSU health insurance during a pregnancy is not great (very few ultrasounds for example), but financially it's better to wait until January to do the retrieval because that means we'll save at least $700 in taxes/social security that we otherwise would have paid. Part of me wants to start the ivf process asap, but one (emotional) advantage to waiting is if the ivf doesn't work and we did it asap, I'd be getting those one line hpts right around Christmas, which wouldn't make for a very nice "gift". It's probably better to wait until January. I haven't made this decision 100% firm yet. I am going to wait until Tuesday to decide. If I hear before then that the President didn't approve my request, then I'll have to analyze the situation one last time. If I don't hear by Tuesday, we'll proceed with plans to do the retrieval in January.

5. Paul's advisor will only be in the office a few days over the next 6 weeks. This is VERY good news! Paul was able to work from home today, which meant I didn't have to take the kids with me to the RE this afternoon. My appointment was during Nadia's nap. I think that the only appointment that wouldn't take place while she's away is the embryo transfer. It also means we'll save a lot of money as Paul's car goes through a lot of gasoline every week! Ironically, I might be going to PSU on Monday. The Dean wants me to attend a meeting there that day. That's another instance when I wish I knew if I was working there in 2012. I'd be happy to go, but it seems pointless if my days are numbered.

6. So far, neither Paul or I have caught the cold that the kids both have. That's a miracle given how frequently they cough on us and wipe their noses on our clothes.

7. The Steelers won on Sunday, and as an unexpected bonus, the Ravens (who had been leading our division) lost.

8. My kids bring me so much joy every single day - their smiles, hugs, laughter, etc are so incredibly precious to me.

9. My teaching load this semester has been ideal. I wish I could have this same schedule next semester. I couldn't have asked for a more ideal schedule. If I am teaching in the evenings next semester, it's going to be an adjustment as I haven't done that since December 2010.

10. I love singing in my church's choir. We're singing in a community Thanksgiving service this Sunday evening (along with many other church choirs). We're singing Christmas music every Sunday in December including a cantata on the 18th and several other anthems on the 25th. I'm also playing the flute some in the cantata, and I'm probably going to sing a vocal solo on the 25th. I haven't sung a vocal solo since 2003. I was honored when the choir director asked me last night, especially since it's a song I really like.

No comments: