Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Shots after all

Last month when I spoke with the IVF nurse she told me that the current FET protocol didn't involve any shots - only estrogen patches and progesterone suppositories. I wasn't totally shocked because with Oliver I didn't have nearly as many shots as the previous three embryo transfers as Dr. Z didn't use Lupron or PIO shots. With my first FET (Nadia) in 2007 I was on Lupron once a day for quite a long time as well as estrogen shots twice a week and PIO shots twice a day. It turns out they are going back to that protocol. The nurse called it the new protocol, but considering it was the one I had in 2007 it doesn't seem "new" to me. She said I can discuss it with the RE at my appointment on the 26th because they are in the middle of transitioning from the old to the "new" protocol right now. He's still using the suppositories rather than the PIO shots (unless a patient prefers the PIO shots and I certainly don't prefer them) so it won't be quite as many shots as I had with Nadia, but it will end up being a lot more shots than I had with Oliver, and far more than what the nurse told me last month, as she said I wouldn't have any shots. The good news for Paul is that these are all belly shots. He's the one who gave me the PIO and hCG shots in the past because those aren't belly shots. I'll handle the belly shots. Lupron definitely has side effects such as hot flashes, but the good news is that this will definitely be the last time I give myself these shots as this is positively our last cycle with an RE. I've been going to this clinic since July 2004. If I am going to be on Lupron, I will start those injections on September 2.

The fall soccer season begins next week, and the first game will be on September 7. The practices are on Mondays and Wednesdays the first two weeks from 6-7pm, and then after that only on Wednesday nights. That won't work for us due to AWANA on Wednesday nights from 6:30-8:00pm starting September 11. Any other night of the week would be fine. We had this same issue in the spring, but eventually she was assigned to a team that practiced on Thursdays in the spring. Hopefully sometime over the next couple of weeks Nadia will get switched to a U6 team that practices on a different day or different time. I had been trying to wait on signing Nadia and Ian up for gymnastics until I knew the soccer schedule, but since gymnastics starts in two weeks I am going to sign them up for Monday night classes tomorrow morning. Ian will be in a preschool class from 5:45-6:30, and Nadia will be in a Level One class (for the first time) from 5:30-6:30pm.

No comments: