When you have two children under the age of two you have to be very conscious about how you will spend the very limited time you have when both children are asleep. This week I've been averaging 6-7 hours a day of "kid free time", which has meant I've been trying to sleep during all of that time. In most instances over the past 3 months I've chosen sleep as my top priority. As one example, that's why we stopped our Netflix membership. Watching tv or a movie is definitely not a priority for me. Usually the only tv I watch these days is what I have on for Nadia (Clifford, Curious George, VeggieTales, or Sesame Street) or what Paul has on from the time Nadia goes to bed until I go to bed (usually Fox News). I should say in both cases I am not really watching the tv but rather it happens to be on while I'm in that same room.
Yesterday I was really, really hoping for a nap. I put Nadia down at a time I thought Ian would also go down easily. Unfortunately he didn't go down as easily as I hoped; however I did have them both down at a time that if they had taken decent naps, I could have had a good nap also. When Ian wakes up after his third stretch (generally between 4-5am), I try to get downstairs ASAP because if he screams too long then he wakes Nadia up. Her waking up earlier than normal doesn't impact how much sleep I get since I'm already up for the day with Ian, but it does impact how much sleep Paul and Nadia get, and when Nadia doesn't get enough sleep she is very cranky all day long. Prior to becoming a Mom, I used to brush my teeth and wash my face when I first got up. That doesn't happen any more due to me rushing downstairs to nurse Ian.
Yesterday once I had both kids down for their afternoon naps I had to decide what was most important to me. I ended up deciding the #1 priority was for me to eat lunch. That only took about 5 minutes so then I decided #2 was to get a shower (for the first time in 2 days) and brush my teeth (first time that day). They were both still asleep after the shower so then I was trying to decide whether or not to blowdry my hair. I decided to blowdry for a few minutes (not completely), and then I finally crawled into bed. I fell asleep but bolted awake 15 minutes later. Nadia was fussing. I stayed in bed about 10 more minutes before I went and got her. By the time I got her, Ian had also awakened. They both had short naps (less than an hour). I just haven't been able to catch a break this week.
Today since Paul's parents will be here I also have to decide what is most important. I'd like a nap. I'd also like to go shopping. I can't be gone too long from Ian as I don't want him to have more than one bottle of formula, and I also don't want to be apart from Nadia too long due to potty training. It will be a tough decision whether to take a nap or go shopping, and if I go shopping where exactly to go. Maybe I'll be able to get a short nap AND go to the grocery store and Sears. We shall see. I am very grateful they're coming up so that it's at least possible for me to do one of these things. Sometimes I wish I had quit my job and we had moved out near PSU for the duration of Paul's doctoral studies, but one negative consequence of that plan would have been that Nadia and Ian wouldn't have gotten to see Paul's parents as often as they do now. I am glad we don't live toooo far from them (about one hour away).
2 comments:
I know I haven't commented before and I'm sorry. I guess I was officially a "stalker". I think I got to your blog from Lisa's... who I also stalk. :) Anyway, what you're going through with Ian is very similar to my first few months with my son, Miles. Not gaining weight, not sleeping, etc. I debated back and forth on whether I should write you because sometimes it's better to just figure out stuff for yourself, but God has recently laid it on my heart to just give you the option on whether or not you want to hear about Miles. It doesn't necessarily end well since we had to give up nursing and he now has developmental delays (which may or may not be due to his traumatic birth), but if you wanted someone to talk to that's been down a similar path, I'm here. If you don't, that's fine. I don't know that I would have been open to "advice" until the very end of my desperation and exhaustion. So it's totally fine either way. My email address is becbraham@gmail.com
Regardless of whether you contact me or not, know that I'm praying for you and your family. :)
Becca (Harstine) Braham
I often have the same dilema! Right now, reading blogs is taking priority over housework. Which wouldn't be the end of the world except my MIL is coming tomorrow!
Post a Comment