Today I got the spinal headache that the anesthesiologist feared I would get because of where the needle went in my spine with his first attempt. I had a spinal with Ian's c-section, and I don't recall any awful headaches. He said to drink a lot, especially of drinks with caffeine and call him if that didn't do the trick. The only thing I generally consume that has any caffeine is chocolate, and I haven't been eating any foods with chocolate for a few months due to the horrible heartburn I get from chocolate while pregnant. Usually Paul just has Pepsi and Coke in the house, but thankfully he had some Mt. Dew because I can't stand colas. It has been years since I had any Mt. Dew, but I drank two big glasses to lessen the spinal headache. I looked it up online and coffee has WAY more caffeine than soda, but the only way I could force a cup of coffee down my throat was if I had a very flavored one. Did you know that decaf coffee isn't really caffeine free? I learned that this evening while researching the amount of caffeine present in chocolate, soda, coffee, tea, etc. I could force myself to drink a cup of hot tea, and that has way more caffeine than Mt. Dew (plus a lot less calories). As I was drinking the Mt. Dew I was thinking about the fact that if I was going to splurge on all these extra calories, I'd rather have another slice of the pound cake someone from church brought us tonight, but when your head feels like it's splitting, you don't care about the calories involved in relieving the headache. Now that I know which has more caffeine, I'll stick with hot tea rather than drinking any more soda.
I also had far more cramps and contractions today, but I didn't call the doctor because frankly unless I am certain I am in labor or I am bleeding or I am not feeling the baby move as much, I am not calling because I don't want to end up back in the hospital unless absolutely necessary. Of the 12 days I've spent in the hospital thus far, I feel that only 3 of those were truly necessary - the first day at the local hospital when I was bleeding and the last two in Harrisburg for the fetal transfusion.
I posted the grades (to the Registrar anyhow) for the first summer session today. The second summer session starts next week. I can't believe the summer is now half-way over! I emailed my department chair yesterday to tell him that it's extremely unlikely I'll be teaching the first four weeks of the fall semester as originally planned. I told him that most likely I will have given birth before the fall semester starts. I wanted him to know so he can plan accordingly for covering my classes.
Last night was a rough night. Paul spent over an hour (starting at 2am) trying to put Ian back to sleep. He got him to sleep two times, but he didn't stay asleep for very long. The third time Ian woke up I suggested that he just bring Ian into our bed. I assumed Ian would fall back asleep immediately. Boy was I wrong! It took him almost two more hours to fall asleep. Thankfully, Paul was able to sleep during most of that time. I hadn't gone to bed until 11pm so I got about 4 hours of sleep last night. Today it hit me that Ian might be teething. He was really cranky today. I wasn't sure if it was from lack of sleep or teething (his canines haven't come in yet), but I figured it wouldn't hurt to give him a little Tylenol as he hasn't had any in months. Hopefully he'll sleep better tonight as all four of us have been very tired today.
Paul drove me to one of our neighbor's yard sales today. Nadia came with me as they have a girl one year older than her. I brought my cell phone so I could call him when I was done shopping. He also took me to a yard sale last Saturday (also very close to our house) so I haven't totally had to give up yard sales although I'm not anticipating going to any more until the end of September. Since our neighbor was having a yard sale today, I asked Paul to put our old double jogging stroller out near the mailbox with a sign marked "Free." I figured with the extra traffic going by our house today en route to her yard sale, someone would claim it, and someone did! I only paid $5 for it (in 2010), and the tires needed pumped almost every time I used it. We had purchased another one from Craigslist a couple of months ago so I was happy to unload this one that we weren't using any more.
Yesterday we said goodbye to our neighbors. Alexis, Gabby, and I were all crying. It was tough. The girls (and their mother, Beth) really love our kids, and our kids really love them. They've been the most amazing neighbors and babysitters for more than three years. I am so grateful for them, and I hope that they have as smooth a transition as possible in their new home in Oklahoma.
No comments:
Post a Comment