Monday, June 18, 2012

Perpetual Motion and Melatonin

I wouldn't have guessed that my little guy was in any way shape or form anemic. He seems to be rather energetic. I am not sure if I just don't remember accurately, or if it's because I'm on bedrest and more aware of his movements, but he is extremely active. His gymnastics within me keep me awake at night sometimes. In two days I'll be 25w. Every day he stays in the womb is a blessing! The survival rate at 25w is around 80% (much better than the 50% rate at 24w).
Sleep has been a problem for Ian lately. I called Karen (his OT) on the phone about it yesterday. Paul and Karen both think it's 100% a result of my absence and not about the transition from the crib to twin size bed. He hasn't had trouble going down for a nap, except when Paul tries to put him down. On Friday for example he slept for 90 minutes in his bed after Gabby put him down. He pitched a huge fit on Saturday, and since it was much later than usual, I suggested to Paul that Ian could nap with me on the couch downstairs. He took a nice nap, but then he was expecting to do the same yesterday. Paul has had to spend a LONG time with Ian to get him to sleep. I suggested we let him cry it out. I knew Ian was tired becuase he had fallen asleep in my arms (while sitting up) a little earlier when I was reading a book to him. I called Karen part way through his tantrum. She said to let him cry a bit longer, and then when it was getting close to an hour, she said Paul should go get Ian. A couple of hours later he again fell asleep in my arms, but I quickly woke him up as I don't want him to get back in the habit of sleeping in my arms.
She suggested 3mg of melatonin 30 minutes before we wanted to put him to bed at night. Paul bought some yesterday. It took longer than usual to get him down, but it took FAR less time than it had taken Paul lately. He woke up at 1am, but unlike the previous two nights, he went back to sleep (on his own). Paul also woke him up yesterday morning in case the fact that he had been sleeping later than usual was contributing to the problem. This morning he woke up at 7:05. She suggested that on the weekends Paul not bother putting him in his bed for his nap but rather maybe have his nap take place in a stroller or carseat (presuming he will nap the other five days when a babysitter is here). Last night was definitely a step in the right direction. He might have to take his nap with me this afternoon becuase thus far we don't have a babysitter for today. We have plans for Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. I think I can manage by myself today. I'll just have Ian use the baby potty since I can't lift him onto the big one.



No comments: